Flat Roof Facts
Flat and low slope roofs look attractive on a wide range of architectural styles, especially on modern homes and buildings. Many traditional style homes also have sections of flat roofing, such as on porches/balconies, garages and over shed dormers.
Most flat roofs are typically not as long lasting or durable as many sloped ones, because the latter shed snow and rain a lot quicker. However, over the last few decades new and advanced flat roofing membranes have been developed that are highly durable, energy efficient and can compete with sloped roofs in longevity.
Here are about flat roofs to help you choose the best material for your needs and budget
To help you navigate this list, it is broken down into the following categories:
- Flat Roof Materials – overview of different technologies, used in low slope roofing.
- Cost of Materials – price variations between single-ply, built-up and rolled roofs.
- Installation – different ways to install various types of materials.
- Cost of Installation
- Longevity – estimated and actual length of in service use for different types of flat roofing.
- Durability – practical overview of puncture strength, foot traffic, UV exposure, and withstanding elements by different flat roof technologies.
- Maintenance and repair – in depth look at ease (or difficulty) of fixing / repairing under different weather conditions.
- Unique Applications/Benefits
- Energy Efficiency – comparison of solar reflectivity between black roofs (Rubber/EPDM, Built-up and rolled roofing) and white single ply roofs (PVC / TPO / White EPDM)
- Environmental Impact – will the certain type of material be recycled at the end of it’s life, or go straight to a landfill?
Tarco offers traditional roll roofing as well as premium LeakBarrier® underlayments and other roofing materials such as Ice & Water Armor, Asphalt Saturated Organic Felts, Door & Window Tape, EasyStick Plus self-adhering cap sheet, EasyTorch APP membranes, EasyMop SBS cap sheet, Asphalt-based and Synthetic roof underlayments, and ValleyFlash.